Indications for Surgery
Since the presence of this defect itself it is not an indication to correct it, the two main reasons to contact us for surgical treatment are:
- Sliding (Type I) hernia associated to intense GERD symptoms and/or complications related to this reflux.
- Paraesophageal or mixed (Type II or III) hernias, this type of hernias have high morbidity and mortality when symptomatic and are not surgically repaired. Because of this, it generally is recommended that all people with these types of hernias undergo surgery regardless of the intensity symptoms.
- Inability to tolerate general anaesthesia
- Uncorrectable high bleeding risk
- Previous abdominal surgery close to the hiatal region
- Sever obesity
- Esophageal shortening
If FAQ’S and Specific FAQ’S have not answered yet all your questions or concerns please click here.